Carol stormed out of the office, racing for the building’s exit. “I’ve got to get out of here! I need to get some air!” Teeth clenched, fighting back tears of frustration and helplessness, thinking, “I can’t do this anymore!”
For the last several months, she’s been fighting an uphill battle trying to get her project moved up the ladder. Day after day, her efforts seem thwarted: her expertise untapped while she’s micromanaged on assignments that bog her down.
She’s tossing and turning at night, grinding her teeth. Waking up, she groans and hits the snooze button. She’s drinking way too much coffee, eating too much sugar, and feeling exhausted.
And now, she’s wound up in a heated argument with her boss – a great guy, who can’t break through the bureaucracy, either.
As the fresher air clears her mind, she knows one thing for sure, “I just can’t keep doing this.”
Sound familiar? Probably so! Most of us have days when we feel completely exhausted and overwhelmed; when we’ve got too much to do and not enough time to do it; when just getting out of bed seems to require all the will we can muster.
When we reach this moment of awareness, we recognize we’re on the Brink of Burnout.
When burdened becomes burnout
When this scenario goes on day after day after day, when you can’t seem to find relief, this prolonged stress results in emotional, mental and physical exhaustion, running on empty – what we call burnout.
Burnout saps your energy and enthusiasm which then impairs your productivity. Before you know it, you’re feeling increasingly helpless, hopeless, cynical, and resentful. An empty well, with nothing left to give.
- Working non-stop at your job or business for days, months, or longer
- Aimlessly wandering around with no set goals and few accomplishments
- Expecting perfection when it isn’t possible
- Feel like something you once cared about is now a waste of time. It may make you feel deeply resentful and unhappy.
- Start arriving late and wanting to leave early because the situation has become boring, exhausting and out of your control.
- Feel mentally and physically exhausted.
- Have a sluggish memory because you’re trying to keep up with a multitude of things.
- Don’t sleep well
- On edge – feeling cranky, snippy, or downright bitchy
- You may even have the frightening thoughts: ‘Am I losing it? Is this what a breakdown feels like?’
You can take a few steps back from the edge…check out the Soul Spa Minutes video series – just click here to access the four session series.